Openvpn Connect versions from 3.0.0(272) to 3.3.1 (2222) do not resolve DNS on Windows

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
m0sh1x2
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn Connect versions from 3.0.0(272) to 3.3.1 (2222) do not resolve DNS on Windows

Post by m0sh1x2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Hello,

I have set up a simple OpenVPN configuration that routes some internal networks but once I connect with OpenVPN Connect DNS resolution stops to work.

I went so deep and tried a numerous VPN clients(for android, for mac, OpenVPN GUI) and they seem to work and connect as expected.

Searched through the forums and noticed that this might be a common issue but didn't find any solutions.

Is there a way to enable DNS resolution or are there any hidden configs to make this work?

I am not sure what does the OpenVPN GUI do as I am limited in knowledge but would appreciate any help on the case.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Openvpn Connect versions from 3.0.0(272) to 3.3.1 (2222) do not resolve DNS on Windows

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 am

Hello m0sh1x2,

It would be helpful if you told us how you have configured the DNS settings on your OpenVPN server, and what the behavior is that you're seeing, and what the behavior is that you're expecting.

For the record, DNS resolution and its settings work perfectly fine on OpenVPN Connect for the overwhelming majority of our customers. But DNS has use cases that are rather difficult and could be an issue. We need details.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support