New user. After configuring the server in my tplink router and using the widows openvpn app my ip adress is unchanged

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
LizziAS
OpenVpn Newbie

New user. After configuring the server in my tplink router and using the widows openvpn app my ip adress is unchanged

Post by LizziAS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:02 am

So what is the point of an openvpn through my router when after running the client my ip adress isn't changed?

Tried this in windows and two versions of linux with the same results.

LizziAS
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: New user. After configuring the server in my tplink router and using the widows openvpn app my ip adress is unchang

Post by LizziAS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:05 am

my server public ip as reported in the app is the same as my ip adress from my isp.

this is wonk

LizziAS
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: New user. After configuring the server in my tplink router and using the widows openvpn app my ip adress is unchang

Post by LizziAS » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:07 am

Reroute Gateway: IPv4=0 IPv6=0 flags=[ IPv4 ]

from the log file

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:24 pm

What IP address are you expecting to change to ?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:32 pm

LizziAS wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:02 am
So what is the point of an openvpn through my router when after running the client my ip adress isn't changed?

Tried this in windows and two versions of linux with the same results.
I think you need to start by telling us what your goal in using openvpn is. I guess you want to hide your IP address? From whom, why? Or are you wanting to hide your Internet traffic from your ISP?

I use openvpn to connect securely to various company resources. I also use it to connect securely (and behind the firewall) to hosts for a free software project I participate in. Hiding/changing my IP address as seen by those services is not the point at all. Anyone with administrative rights can look up in openvpn logs to see what my origin IP address is.

I should say also, openvpn is an awesome tool to teach yourself about IP routing. Around 17 years after I started, look, now I am making a living from it! :D

Good luck and have fun with it. Regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support