ovpnagent request error?!

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
nico_ar
OpenVpn Newbie

ovpnagent request error?!

Post by nico_ar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 am

Hi
Can anybody help me with the following error:
''There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server. Error message: ovpnagent request error''.
I suppose it is about a faulty installation as this message occured by the very first launch of the application. OS Windows 7. The app didn't install anything in Control Panel_Network Coonections. Thanks!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: ovpnagent request error?!

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 am

Hello,

The OpenVPN agent component that is reporting a problem is the component that makes it possible for OpenVPN Connect v3 to run unprivileged (not requiring admin rights). There are certain actions that require admin privileges like opening the TUN/TAP adapter and setting up routing. The agent service takes care of that. Apparently though that agent is unable to do its job.

Given your problem description, the most likely cause of the problem is a failure to install the TUN/TAP adapter, therefore when the agent is requested to open a TUN/TAP adapter, there isn't one, and the request fails, and therefore everything simply does not work.

I believe the root cause of the problem is related to a problem installing the driver on Windows 7. First of all I should point out that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. But we also know that OpenVPN Connect v3 will work fine on Windows 7. But one issue that we know about is that if you don't have Windows 7 updated to the latest still available updates, then you will not have the required update that adds support for checking code signing done with SHA256 type certificates. And that is required if you want the driver installation to proceed correctly. This update could be obtained separately.

More information on this can be found here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... a4cde8e64f

I believe that, just likes in our test setup with Windows 7, if you have the correct update installed that adds support for SHA256 code signing, then you should be able to install the driver correctly.

And finally, some antivirus software might hold back the driver installation. So it's possible that the problem can be resolved by temporarily disabling antivirus for the installation process to succeed.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support