DNS and Domain Suffix not pushing

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
plexustech
OpenVpn Newbie

DNS and Domain Suffix not pushing

Post by plexustech » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Hello,

We use pfSense routers to create our OpenVPN tunnels. with the OpenVPN 2.5.1 client, everything works as it should, our custom DNS and domain suffix get pushed through the tunnel, and when the client connects, these settings are visible on the tap adapter through an ipconfig /all. We recently switched to using the OpenVPN Connect software for windows as it is a better user experience and looks nicer. However, the DNS settings and domain suffix are not pushing on connection. Does anyone have any insight as to why this would be different between the 2 client softwares?

Thank you.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: DNS and Domain Suffix not pushing

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:40 pm

Hello,

OpenVPN Connect v3 uses OpenVPN3 client library, and not OpenVPN2. This means there are differences in behavior in regards to how some functions work that explain why you are seeing a difference. If you use Access Server or Cloud it should work fine with that. The community people working on OpenVPN3 are aware that there are some differences and in the future this might be addressed.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

ivan.p
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ivan.p » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:05 am

I had the same problem. In the log I could see the error:

Code: Select all

[Apr 7, 2022, 14:00:37] Unknown pushed DHCP option: [dhcp-option] [DOMAIN-SEARCH] [your.domain]
The solution is to add the following option to your openvpn server (PfSense): push "dhcp-option ADAPTER_DOMAIN_SUFFIX your.domain"

After connecting you can see in the log (verb 4) that adapter_domain_suffix is now set

[Apr 9, 2022, 02:40:01] SetupClient: transmitting tun setup list to \\.\pipe\agent_ovpnconnect
{
	"tun" : 
	{
		"adapter_domain_suffix" : "your.domain",
		"block_ipv6" : true,

And now local names are automatically resolved to FQDN:

C:\>ping xbuilder 

Pinging xbuilder.your.domain [192.168.41.7] with 32 bytes of data:
Tested with OpenVPN Connect 3.3.6

dansoi
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dansoi » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for this solution: it worked.
I'm am installing OpenVPN Connect on all my customers' client computers since I have my own Access Server while in the meantime they have their pfSense based VPN's, so it it quite convenient to have only a single software for connecting all the VPN's
I hope OpenVPN Inc. will make Openvpn Connect client fully compatible with the community client.