Excessive Disk Activity

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
waslap
OpenVpn Newbie

Excessive Disk Activity

Post by waslap » Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 am

Whenever I am connected to a OpenVPN server with OpenVPN client, I notive about 300kb/s disk writing by the client for the entire duration of the session, as if it is recording the entire session. Is this to be expected and how can it be turned off ? Even more disconcerting is that the client is writing with the same throughput often at random periods when i am not connected to any server.

rar222
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Excessive Disk Activity

Post by rar222 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 am

I've noticed the exact same behaviour.

OpenVPN connect is spamming writes to config.json.xxxxxxxx

With an entirely new session (after deleting all of the %AppData% files, the config file is approx 35kB so the spamming isn't quite as noticable), but my old config file was 1.2MB (I don't know why it's so big) and it was writing this file almost continually.

The top of the resource manager shows heaps of writes to files like this showing MB per second

Code: Select all

Image               PID    File                                                                 Read (B/sec)  Write (B/sec)  Total (B/sec)  I/O Priority  Response Time (ms)
OpenVPNConnect.exe  14640  C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\OpenVPN Connect\config.json.1754492411  0             12,288         12,288         Normal        0

The file size seems to be the fact that the log files are stored within the config.json file, with multiple levels of json-within-json-within-json so it always needs to rewrite everything, and that everything needs to be encoded and escaped at every stage.

This should be fixed, or at least this type of logging should be disabled so these writes do not happen.