Excessive Data Use

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
AdrianMusic
OpenVpn Newbie

Excessive Data Use

Post by AdrianMusic » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:48 am

Hope everyone is doing okay. I recently swapped from Android to iOS and setup OpenVPN once more as I already had it working on Android.

Everything was going well until I saw my data usage last night. In 90 minutes it had chomped through 350mb of data. Interesting thing is I only accessed one document, a small doc of around 35kb. I’ve done this before on Android and it used next to nothing data wise.

I’m sure it must be something iOS related and wondered if anyone else came across this problem. For now it has broken my workflow away from home.

Thanks in advance.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Excessive Data Use

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Probably an Apple cloud app. ask Apple.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Excessive Data Use

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:13 am

Hello AdrianMusic,

A common mistake we see is that people send all the Internet traffic through the VPN tunnel when they don't need that and only need to access some private resources. If that's the same for you, then configure your server to send instructions to your VPN client to only redirect some private IPs through the VPN tunnel, and not the whole Internet.

However, if you do need to redirect the entire Internet, then any processes on your iOS device that want to use the Internet, will use the Internet through the VPN tunnel. And if these are for example automatic app updates happening in the background, and perhaps some Apple cloud synchronisation, then 350MB can be consumed pretty easily.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support