OpenVPN app connects, but not Settings app

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
InterClaw
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN app connects, but not Settings app

Post by InterClaw » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi,

I'm having a problem with OpenVPN for iOS.

App version 3.2.3.(3760)
iOS version 14.7.1

I have a profile that works fine to connect to the server - if I'm using the OpenVPN app. If I try and connect from the iOS Settings app it seemingly connects, but then disconnects after a while. What's really happening when checking the logs is that it's attempting to connect three times and then stops.

Among the messages in the client log is this:

Code: Select all

2021-08-15 23:10:46 Creds: UsernameEmpty/PasswordEmpty
On the server side (an Asus router), I get a corresponding error:

Aug 15 23:10:46 vpnserver1[17390]: ip.ip.ip.ip:port TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by peer
Here's what it looks like in the client log when connecting directly from the OpenVPN app:

2021-08-15 23:15:10 Creds: Username/Password
So it seems that iOS itself (or the Settings app) is not using the stored credentials. How can I solve this problem? This used to work, but it's been a while since I tried it tbh.

I've of course tried to remove the profile and recreate it. I get the prompt to allow to add the profile and all looks normal. And like I wrote, it does work fine when using the OpenVPN app to connect.

I also tried it on another device, an older Ipad Air running iOS 12.something. Same problem there, works fine via the OpenVPN app, but not when trying to connect from the Settings app.

Still Mountain
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN app connects, but not Settings app

Post by Still Mountain » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:01 pm

It is said that the VPN components are built into ios, but I have yet to see it work without the client.