Error adding new *.ovpn file

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
mbalcerzyk
OpenVpn Newbie

Error adding new *.ovpn file

Post by mbalcerzyk » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:45 pm

I use OpenVPN Connect on iPhone 6s plus with IOS 14.7.1 , but cannot apply *.ovpn configuration file with certificate included.
I use OpenVPN Connect on Android 8 device with the same *ovpn profile and can connect easily. Same for Windows 10. I use username and password, so it seems the account is ok.

The web which shares the configuration files is public at http://vpn.us.es/, is in Spanish. The certificate and configuration file can be found there. It is now (after adoption to OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2 on iPhone:

#################################################################
# vpn.us.es.inline_cert.ovpn
# Fichero de configuracion del cliente openVPN para vpn.us.es.
#
# AREA DE COMUNICACIONES.
# SERVICIO DE INFORMATICA Y COMUNICACIONES.
# UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA.
#################################################################

remote vpn.us.es 1201
remote vpn.us.es 1197
remote vpn.us.es 1193
remote vpn.us.es 1191
remote vpn.us.es 1199
remote vpn.us.es 1194
remote vpn.us.es 1202
remote vpn.us.es 1190
remote vpn.us.es 1203
remote vpn.us.es 1200
remote vpn.us.es 1204
remote vpn.us.es 1192
remote vpn.us.es 1198
remote vpn.us.es 1196
remote vpn.us.es 1195
remote-random
client
tls-client
pull
dev tun
proto tcp
#ns-cert-type server # Para versiones <=2.2.2
#tls-remote vpn.us.es # Para versiones <=2.2.2
verify-x509-name "vpn.us.es" name # Para versiones >=2.3.2
auth-user-pass
float
verb 3
resolv-retry 3
keepalive 10 120
nobind
mute-replay-warnings
persist-key
persist-tun
redirect-gateway
ca [inline]
cipher AES-192-CBC
comp-lzo

<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
cerfificate text
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

The file is opened by Share in local device and loads to OpenVPN connect. When I try to press ADD, the error appears "failed to Import Profile" that the [inline] part cannot be opened for read, even if the certificate is in the *.ovpn file itself. The message reads: "Failed to parse profile: [inline]: cannot open for read: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/FA7.....7931/Documents/[inline]

When I try to Add the file that does not contain certificate, then the *,cert file cannot be found even though it is in the same folder as *.ovpn.

I have no idea where Documents folder is on iPhone. I have iPhone for a few days, so all on iPhone is new to me. There is On My iPhone, where I put the +.ovpn file. I tried on iCloud Drive, the effect is the same.

I have tried to open *.ovpn file from email attachment, but the extension is not recognized, even though in Files it shows with OpenVPN icon. I cannot follow the iTunes method - I have iTunes Store app, which does not find what is called iTunes Sync on my ITunes Store.

I need to connect to my university network with VPN.
Any help is appreciated.
MarcinB.

colliek1
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Error adding new *.ovpn file

Post by colliek1 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same issue on my iPad: "Failed to parse profile: [inline], [inline], [inline]". The config file in question runs fine on a Windows client.

Did you find a solution to your problem by any chance?