Import Profile to iPad (v13.3.1)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
dsliesse
OpenVpn Newbie

Import Profile to iPad (v13.3.1)

Post by dsliesse » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Similar problem to the gentleman who posted a month and a half ago but he was having trouble with an iPhone. I'm not an Apple guy, either, and I'm trying to get OpenVPN working on my office manager's iPad. I seem to be working with a couple different sets of outdated documentation, including within OpenVPN itself.

I have OpenVPN installed on the iPad, but am having no luck at all importing the profile. Following the instructions within OpenVPN I should be able to open iTunes Sync, but that feature has been discontinued in recent versions of iTunes. So I downloaded the configuration file to my PC and emailed it to her, but when I open the attachment in the Mail app on the iPad the only options are "Copy" and "Save to Files". I created a new folder to save the file, but I don't see any way to import it into OpenVPN. The Files tab on the Import Profile creen only gives instructions for using iTunes Sync or opening the profile from within the Mail app.

It's frustrating enough to deal with the iPad (give me a good command line and I can do almost anything!), and these additional problems aren't helping my disposition. Any suggestions?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Import Profile to iPad (v13.3.1)

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:29 am

Are you using inline files in your config file ?

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/IOSinline

dsliesse
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Import Profile to iPad (v13.3.1)

Post by dsliesse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 am

Yes, I took a look at the file (imported from our Watchguard Firebox) and it does have the inline headers and the appropriate content.

Looking at the instructions at the bottom of the linked post, what is different is that when I click on the attachment in the email I don't get an "Open With" option. My only choices are "Copy" and "Save to Files". Might that perhaps be a problem with the OpenVPN Connect installation? Don't see how it could be, since installation is a lot less messy than on a Windows device, but it certainly is not impossible.