Always connect except on "home" network

jeff3820
OpenVpn Newbie

Always connect except on "home" network

Post by jeff3820 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 pm

brianjmurrell posted this message in the Openvpn Connect (android) forum. I am also interested in exactly the same solution...how can I pause openvpn connect when the WiFi is connected to the "home" network(s)? The 1.1.1.1 app which is a "VPN" for DNS only does this exactly...it allows specific SSIDs to be entered and if connected to those SSIDs then the VPN connection is paused. When moving to cellular or other WiFi SSIDs then the VPN resumes. Seems this would be a very valuable addition to OpenVPN Connect for iOS.

Here is the post from the android forum: <<How can I make OpenVPN automatically connect when I am on any network (mobile or WiFi) that is not the network that the OpenVPN server is gatewaying to (i.e. the network that is "behind" the OpenVPN gateway)?

So to be clear, I want to automatically always connect to my OpenVPN server except when I am on the network that is behind the OpenVPN server since that doesn't work and seems pointless anyway. I trust my local network.>>

Any solutions or workarounds would be great.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Always connect except on "home" network

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 pm

You can either, try to convince the developer of the software you are using that this is a good idea to implement in their software or you can invest in better network equipment and configure your network to do what you want.

jeff3820
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jeff3820 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 pm

The router software on the "home" internal network is Pfsense and sure, I can configure a hairpin but that is just absurd...no need for a VPN when you are already on the network the VPN connects to. It is OpenVPN Connect that needs to implement the change to disable the VPN when it senses a WiFi connection to the "home" internal network. Only seems logical...

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 pm

jeff3820 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 pm
I can configure a hairpin but that is just absurd
the exact opposite of the truth ..