App Notifications (Notification Center support)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.

Do You Want Real Notifications?

Yes - I want to know when a connection fails without having to check the app!
100%
No - VPNs are irrelevant, I just installed the app to use up free space and complicate my life
No votes

Total votes: 2

travelingtech
OpenVpn Newbie

App Notifications (Notification Center support)

Post by travelingtech » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 am

OpenVPN Connect for iOS is up to public release version 3.0.1, but there still isn’t any notification outside of the app, such as when a VPN has failed to reconnect or become disconnected!?

A lot of users—such as myself—use VPNs for privacy. Since iOS seemingly prevents VPNs from failing-closed (safe) instead failing-open (unsafe) it’s critical that the OpenVPN app alerts the user to an event within the app such as the VPN connection being lost or failing to reconnect. Without this the user blindly continues with their internet connection while no longer being protected by their VPN. (i.e. complete loss of privacy without notification.)

This is such a simple to implement fix that it’s unconscionable that it hasn’t been done at all in anyway—at the expense of users safety.

I implore the devs to please quickly implement a proper notification system using Notification Center. There is no reason this shouldn’t and couldn’t have been done already.

Of course the obligitory complaint of frequent disconnects and crappy UI changes still stand as they too are real issues that I and many other users of the OpenVPN Connect app experience on a daily basis without having any true recourse or alternative.

Also, please allow VPN profile sorting in the list view.