Profiles in .mobileconfig does not recognize .ovpn12 certificates

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
hmolina
OpenVpn Newbie

Profiles in .mobileconfig does not recognize .ovpn12 certificates

Post by hmolina » Sat May 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi,

We were using .mobileconfig files to distribute the VPN connection configurations and .ovpn12 files to distribute the respective Certificate/Keys to our corporate users.

But from more or less 2 months, in a new installations, the certificate field says: "Certificate set via .mobileconfig", and does no allow select a .ovpn12 preinstalled certs/keys.

The .mobileconfig profiles do not have cert/key/ca fields.

In order to replicate this issue, I uninstall all (profiles, certificates and application) in a working iPhone with the lastest iOS version and repeat the full configuration process and get the same message like other users. We are using OpenVPN Connect for iOS 1.2.9

Thanks in advance for any idea to solve this problem.

H.

bbuckm
OpenVPN User

Re: Profiles in .mobileconfig does not recognize .ovpn12 certificates

Post by bbuckm » Sat May 05, 2018 5:06 pm

hmolina wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:44 pm
The .mobileconfig profiles do not have cert/key/ca fields.
I don't understand what you mean when you say that the .mobileconfig files do not have these fields. In a .mobileconfig file, the certificates are embedded as payloads between <data> and </data> tags. Is that what you are doing? There is online documentation, e.g. https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... ction.html. Are you making the .mobileconfig files by hand, or are you using the Apple Configurator?

hmolina
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Profiles in .mobileconfig does not recognize .ovpn12 certificates

Post by hmolina » Sat May 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using Apple Configurator 2 to handle the .mobileconfig configuration.
In the VPN profile configuration inside the .mobileconfig profile, you can include the cert/key and ca information, in order to use these information, or not include any information and use an external ovpn12 file (this is my case).

It was working, but after some update, in a new installations, it stop to work.

We was not notified until a new user needs these configuration and report the problem.

H.