Since 1.2.5, VoD intermittently dropping connected WiFi network (but tunnel stays up)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
tent_icle
OpenVpn Newbie

Since 1.2.5, VoD intermittently dropping connected WiFi network (but tunnel stays up)

Post by tent_icle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 pm

I use a VoD profile with OnDemandEnabled SSIDMatch to bring up the VPN tunnel whenever I connect to a specific hostile WiFi network. As soon as I disconnect from that network (back to cellular), the profile uses InterfaceTypeMatch Cellular to tear the VPN tunnel down.

Since 1.2.5, I have found this intermittently does not work correctly. Occasionally, the phone will connect to WiFi and the tunnel will come up automatically, but a second later the WiFi icon will disappear from the status bar and instead it will show the phone connected to the VPN over 4G (even though it is supposed to Disconnect when the interface type is Cellular).

According to Settings.app, WiFi is in fact still connected and I have an IP on the hostile network. However, for some reason the WiFi status bar icon has disappeared and the phone is routing all traffic (including the VPN) via the cellular network.

This is repeatable after every few hours of ‘correct’ functioning.

I have found that briefly toggling mobile data off will switch the tunnel over to the WiFi network (and restore the WiFi icon to the toolbar). I can then turn mobile data back on and for the next few hours the tunnel will (correctly) connect/disconnect via WiFi as I move in and out of range of that network... until the issue returns.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour before? It’s possible this is a misconfiguration on my behalf (or a configuration I need to adjust to deal with 1.2.5+) so I wanted to ask here before raising a bug.

tent_icle
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Since 1.2.5, VoD intermittently dropping connected WiFi network (but tunnel stays up)

Post by tent_icle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:25 am

Anyone??

I’ve not been able to make any progress resolving this, so any help or suggestions whatsoever would be very much appreciated!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Since 1.2.5, VoD intermittently dropping connected WiFi network (but tunnel stays up)

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm

I would raise a bug report with all the needed details .. but don't be disappointed if that gets closed.

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by ordex » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 am

Several issues about VoD are addressed in 1.2.8. I'd recommend to wait for it to be out and, if the problem persist, please open a bug as reported here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25650

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by ordex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 am

1.2.8 is out, please test it :) If there are bugs, please report them on the bug tracker. Thanks!