Upgrade to OpenVPN 1.2.5 (iOS):connections hangs

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
croma25td
OpenVpn Newbie

Upgrade to OpenVPN 1.2.5 (iOS):connections hangs

Post by croma25td » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am

Hello everyone,

I have read on this forum that with the new iOS release there are some problems, few of problems I experience are already been reported while one seems not. So I'd like to send some logs and information so you can have hopefully more help to pinpoint the issue.

The main problem is basically a very slow navigation experience and when I try to do a speedtest (ookla speedtest) to check performances of VPN it stop working after few seconds within the test remaining connected. When it stops I can't even open simple website like google.it (no traffic on server on tun0). Even without a speedtest the connection will eventually stop, doing a speedtest only make the problem arise instantaneously.
Same speedtest give me result almost at 95-100% of performance of my home and office connection on Android and Windows and on previous iOS client (1.1.1).
In this case I see no logs on server and client side, the connection remain open while no data goes within the tunnel.

I can also reproduce the following problems that has already been reported by other users:
- (always) when iPhone 8 Plus iOS 11.2.2 screen goes off (and phone get locked) VPN always interrupts itself and the topbar "VPN" indication near wifi goes away too
- (sometimes) when I move between apps VPN goes off and the topbar "VPN" indication near wifi goes away too
In these two cases on both server and client I see a new session of connection like previous one had been interrupted.

Where I can send the logs? Or how i can provide more help?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day,
Daniele

anatoli
OpenVPN User

Re: Upgrade to OpenVPN 1.2.5 (iOS):connections hangs

Post by anatoli » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

croma25td, for your second issue please check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25631 and if it's *the same* issue, please upload your client/server configs and logs (each inside [code]xx[/code] blocks).

GainfulShrimp
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by GainfulShrimp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am

croma25td wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am
when I try to do a speedtest (ookla speedtest) to check performances of VPN it stop working after few seconds within the test remaining connected. When it stops I can't even open simple website like google.it (no traffic on server on tun0). Even without a speedtest the connection will eventually stop, doing a speedtest only make the problem arise instantaneously.
Same speedtest give me result almost at 95-100% of performance of my home and office connection on Android and Windows and on previous iOS client (1.1.1).
In this case I see no logs on server and client side, the connection remain open while no data goes within the tunnel.
I'm getting this same behaviour with my TCP/443-based OpenVPN server.

An Ookla speed test appears to start OK, but then quickly stalls soon into the 'download' portion. The 'upload' speed test doesn't even start, then the Ookla app returns "ERROR: Test failed to complete. Check your internet connection and try again."
At this point, the 'VPN' symbol still shows in Control Centre (as if the connection is still OK), but the connection has effectively died. Switching back to the OpenVPN app triggers the symbol to vanish and the connection shows as 'disconnected' in the app.

The same TCP/443 Openvpn server and the same client profile (except for different client keys etc of course) works fine via Viscosity on my Macbook, on the same wifi connection as the iPhone. A browser-based Ookla speed test from the Macbook also completes OK.

Interestingly, for me anyway, my UDP-based OpenVPN connections don't seem to be affected. I can do a speed test fine in both iPhone and Macbook when connected to my UDP server.

I'll always use UDP where I can, as it's faster, but I need TCP/443 as a last resort for certain restrictive public wifi etc. I don't mind it being slower, but I'd like it to be usable in a pinch.

croma25td
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by croma25td » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm

I can confirm that my setup is on TCP port 443. I checked again the logs and I can't see anything strage, no reconnects or errors whatsoever. Log output is similar to a session opened with Android or Windows clients.
Is there some parameter on client and/or server to print a more verbose log? Maybe that can help more

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by ordex » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:02 am

OpenVPN Connect for iOS 1.2.6 is out!

Please refer to this post if you want to submit bugs of feature requests: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25650

Thanks!

The TCP issue is being tracked in another thread.