iOS app location setting

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
gforrow
OpenVpn Newbie

iOS app location setting

Post by gforrow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 am

Hi,

I am new to all this VPN stuff, so apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before.

I currently connect my vpn using L2TP, but this is fairly flakey, constant disconnects etc.

So I am trying to set up openVPN. I have got it working from my Synology drive, by exporting the configuration, but the issue I have is that the VPN does not set a location.

So is there anyway I can set in the configuration for the iOS app to specify where my VPN is. I need it to appear that I am in the UK so that I can access UK based sites. Currently this does not happen, and certain sites do not allow me access due to being out of the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated, simple though. Is there something I can add to the configuration file that I import through iTunes?

Cheers,

Gary

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: iOS app location setting

Post by ordex » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am

The VPN per does not allows you to set an arbitrary location as you were connecting from there.
The VPN only allows you to create a tunnel towards another host (VPN server). If this VPN server is in country X, then you could route all the traffic through it so to appear you are connecting from country X.

Anyway, this is beyond the scope of this forum and openvpn itself. If you want to deepen the topic further I'd suggest you to search for beginner's documentation online explaining these concepts.

Cheers,