How to setup iPhone app with no .ovpn file?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
drorcohen
OpenVpn Newbie

How to setup iPhone app with no .ovpn file?

Post by drorcohen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am

Hi,
I own a iPhone and use a Linux laptop for work. I don't have a windows machine available. How do I set the app since I don't have a ovpn file to send it? I did try to send the conf file and the crt file (see http://askubuntu.com/questions/250324/e ... vpn-format.

What is my next step?

thanks,
Dror

drorcohen
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to setup iPhone app with no .ovpn file?

Post by drorcohen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 am

UPDATE: I've managed to copy from my crt file the CA (thanks to the FAQ in the app) to the conf file that was saved as .ovpn. This makes the importing of the file from the mail app work and I get a profile with my parameters (described as external certificate profile). However I still need to select a certificate (required)... How do I do that? tapping on the select gives me "No certificates are present". Entering my user and pass doesn't enable anything else.

The FAQ mentions a cert and key fields/files - where are they located in Ubuntu/NetworkManager? Maybe I'll copy them as well and things will start working,

thanks,
Dror

pscheblein
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pscheblein » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 am

Hi, i've the same problem, is there any solution? I still need to select a certificate (required), but i haven't any certificate.

BR
Patrick

peter_sm
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by peter_sm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Same for me usling anonine

jes.merrild
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jes.merrild » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I have the exact same issue. I'm using iPhone 5, IOS 6.1.

I've tried to import ca.crt + openvpn.ovpn files through itunes as suggested in the Welcome to OpenVPN app. The profile is created but I too have to "Select a certificate... (required)". The list contains one option: "No certificates are present in...". And the button to enable the connections is greyed out.

Ideas are much appreciated.

Regards

Jes

jes.merrild
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jes.merrild » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 pm

I managed to get one step further by following the suggestion form this post, topic12011.html.
We are missing <cert> and <key> in the .ovpn files and the post has an example of what to type and then it should work.

In my case I now have a standard profile in purple colour AND I can actually connect.
Unfortunately I cannot connect succesfully.
The status is "Pulling settings from server" and after 30 seconds I receive a connection timeout.

Can you guys try this out and post back if you have the same issue?

drorcohen
OpenVpn Newbie

[SOLVED] Re: How to setup iPhone app with no .ovpn file?

Post by drorcohen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 am

Thank you jes.merrild !!! For me this solution worked perfectly! Once I remailed my file with the generic cert and key (you supplied). Added my User and Pass. Pressed the off button - connected and browsing the servers behind the VPN.

thanks a lot!

Dror

drorcohen
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by drorcohen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 am

honu
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by honu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:32 pm

jes.merrild wrote:
Unfortunately I cannot connect succesfully.
The status is "Pulling settings from server" and after 30 seconds I receive a connection timeout.
I have exactly the same issue. Pulling settings from server then timeout. On other systems this profile works flawlessly so I suspect that the iOS client is not quiet up there yet.

jes.merrild
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jes.merrild » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Solved it!!!

We need to change the value for "reneg-sec" in the .ovpn file. The line is as default "reneg-sec 0". Change it to "reneg-sec 3600", and SUCCESS - now I receive an IP. Hope it works for you too :-)

frriction
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by frriction » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am

I have commented out regen-sec and it worked. This version is like old open vpn client, where certain commands do not work.