iPadOS 14.6 NetGear R7000 No DHCP

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
jbusch223@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

iPadOS 14.6 NetGear R7000 No DHCP

Post by jbusch223@gmail.com » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi OpenVPN Experts -

Although I have only a basic knowledge of networking and this is my first use of OpenVPN Connect, I was able to use advice I found here from TinCanTech to create an OVPN config file with inline certs and keys, load it to the latest OpenVPN Connect on my iPad, and connect to my R7000 with external static IP. The connection seems healthy and I have traffic. So I already owe thanks to this forum.

I want to connect to resources on the host LAN. Only one thing between me and success: I'm not getting an IP. I have a private IP: 192.168.254.2. How can I force DHCP, or even set a static IP? I can post my config and/or log if it would help.

Many thanks in advance -
JBusch

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: iPadOS 14.6 NetGear R7000 No DHCP

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 pm

jbusch223@gmail.com wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:05 pm
I'm not getting an IP
In what sense ? You've lost me ..

Edit: You mean, you are not getting a 192.168.. address ?

If so then you need to setup your server to allow access to the LAN.

jbusch223@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jbusch223@gmail.com » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Sorry, not clear enough. When my iPad is connected to the host R7000 by OpenVPN, OpenVPN reports the iPad's IP address as 192.168.254.2. The R7000 is the DHCP server on the host network, and it is assigning IPs in 192.168.2.xxx. I want the iPad to have an IP in that range so I can see and connect to devices on that network. I was hoping that the R7000 would assign a 192.168.2.xxx IP, but it's not happening. Hope this helps. Reading that I may have to set up my server to allow access to the LAN, I can say that I am using OpenVPN on a Windows10 machine to connect to the same host, and getting a 192.168.2.xxx IP, so it works the way I expected in that environment. Please let me know what else I can do to help. Thanks again!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:18 am

That's not how it works and your iOS cannot have an IP address on your LAN.

You need to use routing on the server device.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:12 am

Hello jbusch223@gmail.com,

Just as TinCanTech explained, that is not how it works. But allow me to add just a bit more explanation.

VPN works with a completely separate virtual network. It's a network that exists only within the VPN software, on the VPN server and the VPN client(s). And it's in a private IP range. That makes it a Virtual Private Network, or VPN. To avoid IP routing conflicts, this subnet must be different from the one you are already using. So if you are using 192.168.2.* on your Netgear router, then the VPN server software on the Netgear router should definitely not be using that range too. That is why it assign a different range entirely.

How can you communicate to 192.168.2.* subnet from the VPN subnet? That's done through routing. Packets sent from the VPN subnet to the 192.168.2.* subnet will reach the VPN server software's address, which functions as a gateway, and which will then forward it to the correct 192.168.2.* subnet. And packets sent from the 192.168.2.* subnet to the VPN subnet, will reach the router's gateway address and then forward it to the VPN subnet.

I hope that helps to understand the concept.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:48 am

I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

jbusch223@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jbusch223@gmail.com » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi Johan -

Thanks for your explanation. I understand (barely) the routing concept shown in the diagram. My client side subnet is 192.1688.1.x, and my server side subnet is 192.168.2.x. As mentioned earlier, I am connecting successfully with TUN and have traffic. Paragraph three of your explanation makes it sound as if the routing on the NetGear that will give me access to the server side subnet happens without setup on my part. Not true?

I'm happy to learn more and to do any setup necessary. My practical goal is to connect to SMB shares on 192.168.2.x using Files. In fact, I am only interested in accessing shares on a single device with a static IP on the server side subnet. Please let me know my next step.

Many thanks again -
JBusch

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:22 am

Hello JBusch,

I would expect that if the Netgear R7000 router runs an OpenVPN server, that it will handle the routing in such a way that VPN clients can access IP addresses that this router manages for the local network. But now we are talking about an OpenVPN open source community edition server setup on a third-party router. I will therefore move this ticket to the community section of the forums. Support may also be available from Netgear, since this is a Netgear device.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support