I need OpenVPN client on Android to not route through the VPN when the phone is connected to a specific Wifi network

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
menduri
OpenVpn Newbie

I need OpenVPN client on Android to not route through the VPN when the phone is connected to a specific Wifi network

Post by menduri » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi

I have a home server running several services in my local network. Some of them are accessible from the internet, through a reverse proxy and they have their own domain, for example nextcloud.example.com. I have an override in my LAN DNS server, so when a computer in the local network tries to connect to nextcloud.example.com, it receives the internal LAN IP of the reverse proxy, instead of the Internet IP of the domain.

But my Android phone has an always on VPN connection, so it bypasses my LAN DNS server. What I would like is for the OpenVPN in my Android phone to not route certain domains through the VPN but only when the phone is connected to my home Wifi. Is this even possible to do with OpenVPN (or other VPN software for Android)? If yes, an explanation of how or link to some releveant docs would be appreciated. If not, is there a better way to organize this set up?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: I need OpenVPN client on Android to not route through the VPN when the phone is connected to a specific Wifi network

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:06 pm

I could probably do this for you but what's in it for me ?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: I need OpenVPN client on Android to not route through the VPN when the phone is connected to a specific Wifi network

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm

Hello,

A feature that is on the roadmap for OpenVPN Connect is the ability to specify trusted networks where the VPN connection will not be necessary. Perhaps that would resolve the situation for you. In that case, when you are on the wifi of your trusted network, the VPN would simply drop. And when you leave that wifi, it would re-enable.

Split-DNS is a tricky thing on the various platforms. On Windows and macOS it would be possible to get that to work but on mobile platforms that is currently not supported. Not because we don't want to, but because we have to go through the operating system's VPN API to get things done, and those options are simply not always present in there.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

toeternietoe
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by toeternietoe » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:38 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm
Hello,

A feature that is on the roadmap for OpenVPN Connect is the ability to specify trusted networks where the VPN connection will not be necessary. .............

Kind regards,
Johan
That is exactly what I need to complete the access to my own network from my phone.

Any indications as to the timetable of this feature?

kind regards
Marc