Connected to OpenVPN but no internet access?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
sorachem
OpenVpn Newbie

Connected to OpenVPN but no internet access?

Post by sorachem » Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 pm

OpenVPN server: Synology NAS

Quick brief.

1. I have my configuration working on personal laptop & iOS phone just fine but not on Android device.
2. I connected my laptop through my hotspot of Android and I am able to connect to VPN & get internet access. I can verify by seeing my IP changed to my phone IP and back to LAN IP once connected.

But
On my Android device, I am unable to get any network once connected, I know I am connected because I can see my device and user on my server. But I can't access anything after that. All my VPN logs are normal, no error.

wearysky
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connected to OpenVPN but no internet access?

Post by wearysky » Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I had the same problem - Windows machine connected to my phone's hotspot works just fine on the VPN, but connecting the Android phone directly to the openvpn server (in my case, OpenVPN Access Server running on Ubuntu 16.04) and no dice.

I did a bit more debugging, and I found out that not *all* network access was broken. I could ping local servers, I could connect via SSH and RDP. But apps like Twitter/Facebook didn't work, and web browsing didn't work either. Digging a bit deeper, I found that my APN on my phone had a proxy server specified in it. I created an exact copy of my APN, just without the proxy settings, and it works!

Now, for me - my issue was *only* when I'm connected to mobile data. If I'm connected to wifi on my phone, everything works just fine. So if it doesn't work for you on wifi or mobile data, you might not have the same issue.

sangokudbz79
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sangokudbz79 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:37 pm

Digging a bit deeper, I found that my APN on my phone had a proxy server specified in it. I created an exact copy of my APN, just without the proxy settings, and it works!
Wow!!

Sorry for the old post revival but I had such a hard time finding that, thanks a lot for posting this! I had the same issue (Bell Canada)

Thanks a lot!

B-Man
OpenVPN User

Post by B-Man » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:22 am

wow this worked a treat. mine didnt have a proxy set but I just created a new APN and only filled in the APN section left the rest blank and works.