Certificate accepted by Windows client but not Android client

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
NickJP
OpenVpn Newbie

Certificate accepted by Windows client but not Android client

Post by NickJP » Tue May 05, 2020 1:16 am

Phone is a Pixel 4 running latest Android 10 build. I'm using ovpn files supplied by Getflix for use with their VPN servers. With the OpenVPN Windows client on my desktop PC, I can connect using any of these ovpn files without problem. With your Android client, when I add one of the same ovpn files as a profile and then try to connect with it (I've tried three files, same problem with all of them), I get a popup saying "Select certificate. This profile doesn't include a client certificate. Continue connecting without a certificate or select one from the Android keychain?" Tapping on "Select Certificate" just produces an error saying the server can't be contacted, tapping on "Continue" connects without a certificate.

However, opening the ovpn file in an editor shows that it *does* contain a certificate, and if I interrogate the ovpn file with openssl:

Code: Select all

openssl x509 -in /<path-to>/<filename>.ovpn -noout -text | grep "Signature Algorithm"
I get the response:
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Why is it that the Windows client accepts the certificate but the Android client doesn't?