Selected file has incorrect profile configuration

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
john_d13
OpenVpn Newbie

Selected file has incorrect profile configuration

Post by john_d13 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:31 pm

I am able to successfully import the identical ovpn configuration via local file but if I try importing using URL I get this error - Failed to import profile "Selected file has incorrect profile configuration"

Using TLS and CA cert embedded in ovpn. Whats difference does it make with import method local vs url that can be generating this error ?

Do I need to be running Access server in order to use the URL import method ?

PhilippeS
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Selected file has incorrect profile configuration

Post by PhilippeS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 am

I have the same question.

Have you found a solution ?

RandyS
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by RandyS » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am

Same issue here. Any thoughts or solution?

sgrotz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sgrotz » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 am

I dont have a solution, but I think I narrowed it down even further. If you look at your webservers access log files, when trying to import the certificate, you will see the following:

Code: Select all

[28/Apr/2020:10:51:50 +0200] "HEAD /vpn.ovpn?embedded=true HTTP/1.1" 200 395 "-" "-"
[28/Apr/2020:10:51:50 +0200] "POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.1" 404 628 "-" "-"
The first line downloads the ovpn file and once you try to import the file, it does the /RPC2 POST call, which is not available (at least on my server) - therefore it gets a 404 error back. Not sure what it is trying to do there, but I believe this is specifically for people using the openvpn-as server.

Any update from an expert would be appreciated.

p0o0uya
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by p0o0uya » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am

Hi,

I seem to be having the same issue. when I try to import the config file from the local drive everything goes fine. but when trying to import the same file using url import from my web server, after I enter credentials and click import I get the following error.

Failed to Import Profile
profile was not imported

dbreise
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dbreise » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:30 am

You all are probably security conscious admins like myself so you've disabled the API.. it's needed for this feature :}

hansbosch
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by hansbosch » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:49 pm

My users are getting this error but not all. I have observed that users with dynamic profiles have gotten this error after an upgrade to version 2.9 and 2.9.1. A note was mentioned to enable the API, would that be in CWS settings? The setting I have was working fine until the update.
What option makes this work and is there any security concerns with that option? The default is set to enable a limited API.
-Hans

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:25 am

Hello everyone on this thread,

Unfortunately the error "Selected file has incorrect profile configuration" is a generic error. Basically it's trying to read something that isn't a profile and therefore the profile validation checks fail. It could be for example that your XML-RPC API level is turned off. Or it could be that a firewall is in the way. Or you could be trying to import a profile from a web server that is not an OpenVPN Access Server. The 'import from URL' feature is designed to retrieve profiles from an Access Server primarily. If you store a file on a web server and point your Connect client to that, that won't work. It's probably also a very bad idea to post a connection profile on the public Internet without the authentication that Access Server implements.

In other words, there's no one answer for this issue. If you do encounter problems, we'd be happy to learn more about your situation and take a closer look at what's going on. You should contact https://openvpn.net/support for that however, as posting log details about your situation on a public forum is probably not such a great idea.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support