Version 3.0.0 erased all my profiles and adding new ones does not work

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
pjc123
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pjc123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm

It is a brutal manual process setting up each server with each type of connection with the OpenVPN app (ip, tcp, different ports, etc), and the new app erased all my old profiles ! On top of that I can not longer connect to Private Internet Access (PIA) after re-setting up my profiles (keeps asking for a certifcate, even though I keep entering it). Maybe I am wrong as I don't know enough about it, but from the message that appears, it seems that it is requesting a .pfx or .p12 certificate rather than the .crt, the one which PIA includes with their .ovpn files.

Where can I download the older version if I have to? I believe 1.1.27? I certainly am not going to download it from some random apk website.

pjc123
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Version 3.0.0 erased all my profiles and adding new ones does not work

Post by pjc123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 pm

I just installed the newer version released today (3.0.1). Still no connection.

pjc123
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pjc123 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

PIA sent me a new version of their config files to try and it works with OpenVPN 3.0.0 / 3.0.1. Unfortunately I still have to recreate a bunch of profiles.
Last edited by pjc123 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MisterSurface
OpenVPN User

Post by MisterSurface » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 am

Could you share with us the old profile and the new profile for your Android VPN client so that we know what was changed and now works? I think everyone has this problem.

pjc123
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pjc123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 am

Considering 800+ views and no replies, I figured I was the only one with this problem. I just sent the config files to OpenVPN today to evaluate. I will report back what they have to say.

pjc123
OpenVpn Newbie

SOLVED: Version 3.0.0 erased all my profiles and adding new ones does not work

Post by pjc123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:54 pm

SOLVED: I can't speak for those with other VPN providers, but the issue with PIA was that they were previously using external files for the certs (.crt and .pem files) and pointing to them from within the .ovpn file. That no longer works with OpenVPN app version 3.0.0 and and above, and the working version that PIA supplied to me includes everything in the .ovpn file and eliminates the other two files. The developer believes that the method that PIA previously used with the external files is not compatible with the newer Android SDK. I am going to wait a while to see if PIA creates new .ovpn files for all regions and all port connection types, otherwise I will do it myself, well for my local regions anyway. I guess no one from OpenVPN is going to reply here, so here is my working tcp config file if it helps anyone (NOTE: I have entered the text <REMOVED> where I removed PIA specific information:

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
setenv CLIENT_CERT 0
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
proto tcp-client
remote <IP REMOVED> 443
cipher bf-cbc
auth sha1
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
<CERT REMOVED>
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

MisterSurface
OpenVPN User

Post by MisterSurface » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

I have all of my certificates specified in my .ovpn file on the client with the exception of the pkcs12 file that includes the client certificate. So even with your configuration below including the <ca>....</ca> which has my leaf and root cert it doesn't work.

I think what will end up happening here is that we will all be getting an update to this in the near future, whenever they can get to it.