Issue with 3.0 Android client disconnecting/reconnecting loop, no issue on 1.1.27

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
kmartburrito
OpenVpn Newbie

Issue with 3.0 Android client disconnecting/reconnecting loop, no issue on 1.1.27

Post by kmartburrito » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello,

I wanted to put the results of my troubleshooting out here in case anyone has a similar issue as their client updated in Android from 1.1.27 to 3.0.0

I was experiencing a client connect, immediately disconnect, and then repeat after 5 seconds. Looking at my server log, I saw this line, which started the troubleshooting process.

WARNING: Bad encapsulated packet length from peer (5635), which must be > 0 and <= 1627 -- please ensure that --tun-mtu or --link-mtu is equal on both peers

I run my server on TCP 443, and did NOT have any MTU value set inside my configuration. I followed the instructions in this page to find my correct MTU value - https://www.sonassi.com/help/troublesho ... or-openvpn and ended up with a setting update in my openvpn config of "mssfix 1430" since your MSS is the MTU value minus 40.

Once I set that value and re-imported my profile on the client, it's now working without issue.

Hope this helps someone!