Can't connect to VPN when in Spain

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Rodders450
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't connect to VPN when in Spain

Post by Rodders450 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi,
As a complete novice to OpenVPN I need a little (or possible a lot) of help. I set up OpenVPN on my home router and all works fine for my Laptop, and Android devices when testing via a neighbours WiFi and Public WiFi hotspot in the UK. OpenVPN connects to my router and I can access the Internet - using whatsmyip shows my ISP's IP address.
I am now in Spain and cannot connect via my Laptop (W10) or Tablet (Android). I wondered if the Spanish ISP is blocking the relevant port (I think it's 1194) - I have tried testing this with www.portchecktool.com and can't find any ports that are open - clearly this isn't 'right'.
Anyone any idea on how I can find how what the issue is?????

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Can't connect to VPN when in Spain

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Rodders450 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 pm
I wondered if the Spanish ISP is blocking the relevant port (I think it's 1194)
It sounds like they are ..

If so then probably the only thing do is use TCP port 443 (https) but you will need to change your server config to do that. (Maybe you can use a remote access shell to change your router from Spain)

Rodders450
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Rodders450 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Tincantech,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I can't make any changes to the router here in Spain as we rent and the owner has locked access to the router.....
I'll give changing the port on my Asus router which is running the OpenVPN when I'm back at Christmas. Is this an easy change? I presume I go in to the router and reassign port 1194??? Will I need to make any changes to the OpenVPN configuration which us running on my laptop and Android tablet?
Thanks for the help....

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Rodders450 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm
sure I can't make any changes to the router here in Spain as we rent and the owner has locked access to the router....
Ask them about it ..

I don't know about your router but you should probably read this:
HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition