What is proper file extension (type) for keys in WINDOWS

Support forum for Easy-RSA certificate management suite.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

JosvaEgelser
OpenVpn Newbie

What is proper file extension (type) for keys in WINDOWS

Post by JosvaEgelser » Thu May 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello, I have started to build my own VPN using Windows but get concerned about the following. I have built the keys and certs acc instructions and this seemed to work fine, but if I check the keys folder, I see for instance a CA file with certificate file extension/type and I see another CA file that is shown as a "registry" file type...same situation for the client and server files/keys.
Question: are the files w registry extension/file type the correspondng keys or went something wrong? How to fix?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: What is proper file extension (type) for keys in WINDOWS

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 21, 2020 3:09 pm

OpenVPN Expert

Re: What is proper file extension (type) for keys in WINDOWS

Post by 300000 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:57 pm

windows use p12 file extension and it contain three file type in container so it more easy to copy and transfer and store , again Linux use three difference file extensions to store certificate , it make you a little confuse to find which one belong which? so basic if you go with windows system it is more quicker and more easy to sort out certificate compare with Linux and there are many tool on windows to create certificate .

just remember if you leave the EasyRSA certificate on linux anf connect it to internet , if someone break on to that system and they can copy CA private key so the whole openvpn system on risk . lossing CA key is loss everything , person who got CA key can create connection to your system