ca.crt invalid

Support forum for Easy-RSA certificate management suite.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jarmar
OpenVpn Newbie

ca.crt invalid

Post by jarmar » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 am

I am trying to generate all certificates using easyrsa on my Windows PC then copy the certs to my EdgeMAX EdgeRouter 4 which has openvpn. I follow the procedures with no errors yet when I transfer to the router and try to start openvpn I get an error ca.crt invalid. I have done this with easyrsa ver2 with no issues yet with easyrsa ver3 it does not work. Please assist with generating certs that will work on my EdgeRouter.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: ca.crt invalid

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am

And what error is shown in the log file ?

jarmar
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jarmar » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:12 pm

The only messge is "Invalid ca.crt file". Lack of any resolution on this I found instructions to install easy-rsa on CentOS8. I created a new virtual machine, installed openvpn and easy-rsa then generated the certs. The process is the same as on Windows. Once complete i uploaded the certs onto my router and they worked. Not sure why the Windows version of easy-rsa does not work.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Probably just a "Coffee / Pasta" error.

jarmar
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jarmar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 am

I am using WinSCP to copy the files between the PC and the Router. It works if I use Linux but not Windows.

TiTex
OpenVPN Super User

Post by TiTex » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

i think somebody else had this issue , and it was an windows line encoding issue
convert the file to LF (linux line ending ) from a terminal dos2unix yourfile , if you don't have this utility there are plenty of text editors that have this feature including Visual Code or notepad2-mod (https://xhmikosr.github.io/notepad2-mod/)
also make sure you copy the cert/key including the separators
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----