email change and stuff

All comments and questions related to the functionality of the OpenVPN web pages and forum should go here.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Ozwel
OpenVpn Newbie

email change and stuff

Post by Ozwel » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Dear support,

I wanted to change my email address on this board as the one registered will be closed very soon.

I checked this forum and saw I had to go to Register, log in from there and then change my email. That's what I did.

BUT, my email in my forum's profile is still the old one. Do you manage 2 different databases? Are those supposed to synchronize?

I'm surprised to see that I can login to this board using my login/passwd but when trying to change my email it asks for my passwd and don't recognize it. So I really don't get the machinery behind...

In short: can I change the email in my forum profile to get notifications (reply, PM, etc.) to my new email address?

Thanks

ecrist
Forum Team

Re: email change and stuff

Post by ecrist » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Hello,

We use LDAP as a backend and PWM to manage user registrations. The phpBB software talks to the backend LDAP server to retrieve user credentials. If you've already changed your email address in PWM, we can look into updating our sync process to update the email address, as well. I *thought* this already took place, but can look into it.

I see our Trac instance has an email sync process, but I don't see anything specific for phpBB. I'll poke at it.
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN

samuli
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by samuli » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Trac lacks capability to sync any data (including email) from LDAP, so I wrote a Python script to do email syncing it. Basically the script pokes directly at the Trac database, but with caution. Doing the same for phpbb would probably be easier, as Trac's concept of users is funky (i.e. there are not really users, but authenticated and non-authenticated sessions).
--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc

irc freenode net: mattock

Ozwel
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Ozwel » Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I still see my old email in my phpBB profile. Should I initiate a new change request like I did before you wrote the python script?

Ozwel
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Ozwel » Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am

samuli wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:36 pm
Trac lacks capability to sync any data (including email) from LDAP, so I wrote a Python script to do email syncing it. Basically the script pokes directly at the Trac database, but with caution. Doing the same for phpbb would probably be easier, as Trac's concept of users is funky (i.e. there are not really users, but authenticated and non-authenticated sessions).
Si I understand it is not done and there is no actual way to change user's email in phpbb once they are registered :oops: