Linux Mint 18 HACKED

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

FranklynA
OpenVpn Newbie

Linux Mint 18 HACKED

Post by FranklynA » Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Yesterday I was playing music & noticed my cursor moving. I quickly snatched it back several times.
Over the day I kept an eye on my cursor. Sure enough it began to move again. I decided to leave it to see what it was trying to access. It went to my Network Icon ! I snatched it away, turned off the laptop & had a long think about this.
I concluded this was actually a Windows based attack / virus (I got Mint 18 & Windows 10 on a dual boot 1TB external drive plus Windows 10 on the actual laptop. I boot the external Mint or W10 through the laptop) . If so, how is it able to interact with Mint 18 ? First it would need to install, or be run from somewhere. Not on Mint. But Mint had Wine installed ! Would it be able to run through a Windows emulator ? I think the answer is yes, since any .exe downloaded by Mint or W10 is instantly actionable by Wine.
I did some research & discovered confusion about PUA.Win.Exploit.CVE_2012_0110 found in the Mime.cache folder.
I installed Clamav & sure enough it told me I had this Win.Exploit in my Mime.cache. I looked for it & it WAS there. I couldn't delete it or do anything to the folder.
All the advice I found through the research said Clam flagged it up but it's a "false positive".
I'm not a Linux expert but am of the opinion that it's better to avoid rather than to invite.
Solution: I reinstalled my Linux Mint 18 & swap (formatting the partitions) but did not reinstall Wine.
Looked for the Exploit in Mime.cache.
Not there !!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Linux Mint 18 HACKED

Post by TinCanTech » Sat May 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Use iptables to block unwanted incoming connections ..

FranklynA
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Linux Mint 18 HACKED

Post by FranklynA » Sat May 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi TinCanTech...As I said, i'm not an expert. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm gonna research that now to get a better understanding.