Access the whole network?

All comments and questions related to the functionality of the OpenVPN web pages and forum should go here.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

DrDamnit
OpenVpn Newbie

Access the whole network?

Post by DrDamnit » Wed May 27, 2015 12:45 pm

First, I did RTFM, but I think I may be thinking about the problem wrong, so I am asking for help.

I am used to setting up tinc, which creates a mesh VPN.

Here's the goal: setup an OpenVPN server which allows:
1. Remote users to authenticate with certificates / keys.
2. Allows remote users full access to the entire LAN here at the office.
3. Configures routes so that ONLY traffic destined for the LAN here at the office goes over the VPN (if they watch youtube.com, that traffic is not routed).

I was able to accomplish #1. But, I can only see the VPN server itself (remotely). I enabled forwarding, but still no joy. I have clearly missed something basic.

Also, on the client side, it's trying to run all traffic over the VPN.

I am sure there is a guide / howto published someplace that I haven't found, or a simple answer to this. Looking for advice as we transition to OpenVPN.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Access the whole network?

Post by Traffic » Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 am

* Wrong Forum *

Post in Board index » Community Project » Server Administration in future please.
DrDamnit wrote:I am used to setting up tinc, which creates a mesh VPN
OpenVPN does not support meshed VPN (at this time).
DrDamnit wrote:2. Allows remote users full access to the entire LAN here at the office.
Please see:
HOWTO: Expanding the scope of the VPN to include additional machines
DrDamnit wrote:3. Configures routes so that ONLY traffic destined for the LAN here at the office goes over the VPN (if they watch youtube.com, that traffic is not routed).
Do not use --redirect-gateway ..

For further advice please post your server and client configs.