OpenVPN connection not establishing from some networks

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
CodyHallAF
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN connection not establishing from some networks

Post by CodyHallAF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm

I am a newbie when it comes to OpenVPN, but have an application which works most of the time but not on all networks across the world. I have an OpenVPN server running on Windows 7, with hundreds of clients running linux throughout the world which are allowed to connect to the OpenVPN server upon client request (setup to allow remote troubleshooting of linux hardware/software). The problem is that the connection is not always made when the request is sent from clients, and I can't figure out why. We have about 25% failure rate on clients that are known to have connection to outside world. We have always told customers (client) that an unauthenticated internet connection with standard port 80 will allow the openVPN connection to be established. But some locations will NOT connect to the OpenVPN server, as if it is getting blocked at their location (or maybe incoming server network?). My questions are:

1. What could prohibit openVPN client from connecting to the server?
2. Are there specific ports that some clients would need to open up? I have read port 1994.
3. Do the ports need to be opened up on both server and client side? I assume server side only.

Any help in figuring out what could be stopping these connections would be appreciated.

Cody