Which port?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
MamR
OpenVpn Newbie

Which port?

Post by MamR » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 pm

I travel a lot and am regularly in foreign hotels. To be able to watch Dutch television I have to make a VPN connection to 'fake' my geographic position. I have my own VPN server at home and have both an L2TP and an OpenVPN protocol installed.

I found out that for some reason some hotel routers have ports 500, 1701 and 4500 blocked so L2TP VPN isn't possible. Some hotels also have port 1194 blocked and for that reason I've been trying out using OpenVPN via other ports. For example port 443 which hotels never close as this port is used for HTTPS. I was able to connect now but I found out that using this port didn't change my geographic location to the Netherlands thus I still am unable to watch Dutch television.

So here's my question:

Which port gives me the best chance not being blocked by hotel routers but does change my geographic position to my home VPN server?

I hope someone can help me out here.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Which port?

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:33 pm

MamR wrote:Which port gives me the best chance not being blocked by hotel routers
Probably tcp-443
MamR wrote:but does change my geographic position to my home VPN server?
The port you choose has no effect on your apparent geographic position ..

Which version of openvpn are you using ?

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !