Newbie Help! Computer to Home Network Connection?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
user01342
OpenVpn Newbie

Newbie Help! Computer to Home Network Connection?

Post by user01342 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 am

I am really lost, would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I have no experience using openvpn other than using vpngate openvpn config files in the past. Here's what I am trying to do:

- Create a private openvpn config file from my home that I can connect to while traveling using the free OpenVPN GUI software.
- If anyone is familiar with vpngate.net, my goal is to essentially use my home network to create a config file that only I have access to, thereby allowing me to use my home IP address even while I am in other locations.

Is the above even possible? Am I able to set up my config file to run through my router or do I have to have a separate computer at home that is constantly running to host it?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am really ignorant when it comes to this. Thanks in advance for any help.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Newbie Help! Computer to Home Network Connection?

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm

user01342 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 am
Am I able to set up my config file to run through my router or do I have to have a separate computer at home that is constantly running to host it?
If your router can run openvpn then you can run it there.
user01342 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 am
my goal is to essentially use my home network to create a config file that only I have access to, thereby allowing me to use my home IP address even while I am in other locations
Which is the most common usage.

The best place to start is with the Howto.
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/HOWTO