OpenVPN used for mapping drive, need help driving all other web traffic away from VPN.

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
ruhbee
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN used for mapping drive, need help driving all other web traffic away from VPN.

Post by ruhbee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello!

Summary:
Trying to allow a remote WINDOWS 7 computer to remotely connect to a local QNAP NAS. I don't want all web traffic of the remote computer running through the VPN. I only want the remote PC connection to the local NAS to run through the VPN, and all remote web browsing, VOIP etc to run through regular internet.

Computer - Remote Windows 7 PC
Router - Local LINKSYS 1900ACS (the remote router is the exact same though, matters?)
VPN - built-in OPEN VPN
Clientconfig available for review

Per this link, only traffic to QNAP NAS should go through VPN, right?
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/HOWTO

Specific text from link:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Routing all client traffic (including web-traffic) through the VPN
Overview
By default, when an OpenVPN client is active, only network traffic to and from the OpenVPN server site will pass over the VPN. General web browsing, for example, will be accomplished with direct connections that bypass the VPN.
In certain cases this behavior might not be desirable -- you might want a VPN client to tunnel all network traffic through the VPN, including general internet web browsing. While this type of VPN configuration will exact a performance penalty on the client, it gives the VPN administrator more control over security policies when a client is simultaneously connected to both the public internet and the VPN at the same time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to my situation....
Out-Of-The-Box, the VPN connects, the drive maps, and that works beautifully. The problem is other web traffic is broken. I was thinking I needed split tunnel, but like article above reads, this shouldn't be the case. Any suggestions? Do you think it's possible there's an issue stemming from identical routers for remote/local networks, with 192.168.1.1 being router IP address on both networks?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
-RF

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN used for mapping drive, need help driving all other web traffic away from VPN.

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:15 pm

ruhbee wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm
Do you think it's possible there's an issue stemming from identical routers for remote/local networks, with 192.168.1.1 being router IP address on both networks?
That is called a network conflict ..

Also,
  • NOTE: your local LAN uses the extremely common subnet address 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. Be aware that this might create routing conflicts if you connect to the VPN server from public locations such as internet cafes that use the same subnet.
:arrow: Never use 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 (or other common subnets) for your OpenVPN Server LAN :!:
  • You are advised to change your server LAN to a more unique RFC1918 compliant subnet.
    For example: 192.168.143.0/24
Also see (Do this):
HOWTO: Expanding the scope of the VPN to include additional machines

(Do not do this):
HOWTO: Routing all client traffic (including web-traffic) through the VPN