[Help] OpenVPN AS to AWS Virtual Gateway - tunnel up, but not routing traffic

Ask questions about your Access Server configuration here.
OpenVpn Newbie

[Help] OpenVPN AS to AWS Virtual Gateway - tunnel up, but not routing traffic

Post by rrands1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:27 am

Here is my setup:
OpenVPN AS 2.1.3 Hyper-V Image
Followed instructions here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... (VHD)&ex=1

AWS VPC =, two Subnets - and
All traffic allowed in and out (for testing)
1 Windows 2016 instance in each subnet with the firewall disabled
AWS Route tables send traffic for (AS Server's VPN IPs), and (my home subnet) to the AWS VPN Gateway - other traffic goes out internet GW

Home network = - Asus RT-AC68U router with IP port 500 and UDP 50 and UDP 1194 allowed in, sent to AS VM
According to AS and AWS, both tunnels are up. However, it is not routing traffic. I can't ping hosts from either side of the VPN, even though I can ping local hosts just fine.

Also, on the AS side, doing an IFConfig shows 0 TX or RX traffic or dropped if I just ping by IP. If I tell it what interface to use (i.e. Ping -I AS0t0, then the IFConfig shows TX packets, but no RX or dropped.

on my AS server, the IP route shows what is in the IPRoute attachment (sorry - i can't figure out how to insert it here...:S)

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I have read and read & beat my head against the wall, but can't figure out what might be wrong. I am a Linux n00b, and have never ran tools like wireshark or TCPDump, though I think that might be next - I just don't know what I would be looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.