Routing using NAT or not?

Ask questions about your Access Server configuration here.
thierrite
OpenVpn Newbie

Routing using NAT or not?

Post by thierrite » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am

Hi,

Looking into the settings, I checked that, by default, for routing setting the access to private subnets is set to 'Yes, using NAT.
The private subnets seemed to be not defined.

As soon as I changed some other settings, I got an error saying I shall have to define private subnets!

My 2 questiosn are:
1/ routing shall have have access to private subnets, YES (with NAT) or NO?
2/ in case YES (with NAT), how shall be defined private subnets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

thierrite
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Routing using NAT or not?

Post by thierrite » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:00 am

After some readings, I believe I do not need NAT as I am the only one to connect to the VPN and the server is not ment to be used for any other reason and without local network.

am I right?

shapelytraffic
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Routing using NAT or not?

Post by shapelytraffic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Depending on your network setup, you would choose Yes NAT. So, not to assume anything about your network, but here's one way it may work. You have an Open VPN server in your home or office and it is on the LAN with a address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. You may configure your VPN IP Network to be 172.16.0.0/16, which will be the address of a VPN client when you are using the VPN from a remote location. If you have a workstation of server in your home or office LAN that you want to communicate with, you would need to configure Routing. Otherwise, your VPN client wont be able to send traffic to that resource. The suggested default is NAT, although you may need Routing if NAT doesn't work. If you're not sure, trial and error would be best choice here.

Does that help?