OpenVPN AS server error: "Not an access server"

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
RopeNL
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN AS server error: "Not an access server"

Post by RopeNL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi All,

I've just recently installed OpenVPN AS server on ubuntu 11.10 and it's working fine when I log on using its LAN address. However when I try to use its external address which is something in the line of 84.80.xxx.xxx I get the error "Not an access server".

I've forwarded the 443 and the 1193 ports to my Ubuntu server and given it a static IP address. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong since I am able to connect via the server's LAN address but not its public IP.

As for the usage of the AS server. I'm trying to setup a VPN so that I can access the files on the server on a remote location. I know this can also be done with remote desktop and what not but I'm also trying to learn stuff about servers and linux/ubuntu in general since I've been a windows user for a long time.

So to sum it up:
- How do I connect to the AS server using its public IP address?
- Can I even use the public IP address of the server from a remote location to gain access to my files stored on the server?
- How do I access the files on the server when I'm connected to the server from a remote location? (do I simply try to access the servers VPN IP? and where would I find that?)

Thanks in advance, Rope.

RopeNL
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN AS server error: "Not an access server"

Post by RopeNL » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 am

Come on people. 67 times read but no reply? Please I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong here..

TheSkinny
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by TheSkinny » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:44 pm

I've gotten that error with the Access Server client since we already had a port forward for a web server using port 443. I just configured the AS to use a different port for the Web UI (TCP 9943 in my case). I also use TCP 10000 for the actual VPN connection to not get in the way of any port numbers.

Do not know at all if that helps you but just wanted to say I've seen that error.

Mimiko
Forum Team

Post by Mimiko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

On "Server Network Settings" page from administration site of OpenVPN AS in the "Hostname or IP Address" field you must specify your public IP, and redownload the OpenVPN connector.