OpenVPN and Dnsmasq

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
drravi1110
OpenVPN User

OpenVPN and Dnsmasq

Post by drravi1110 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:49 am

I have seen about these DNS proxies for watching geo blocked contents (Netflix etc)
I have tried to figure out the working, now my plan is to do similar with OpenVPN and Dnsmasq
The architecture will be like
Client => OpenVPN access server => Dnsmasq => Requested Website => Client
So once the client makes request and it is resolved by DNS, the stream goes straight to the client, bypassing OpenVPN server (removes encryption, lag etc)
Is this possible ?
Requesting comments from all, let's do it !!!!

Thanks

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN and Dnsmasq

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:45 am

If all you want is dnsmasq, you can run that at home. How/why is OpenVPN Access Server a piece of this?

Anyway, it's simple, just push the DNS server to your client[s]. If you don't push any other routes, you won't have any route other than the VPN itself. Full tunnel (equivalent of --redirect-gateway in openvpn(8) community version) is not the default:

Code: Select all

"vpn.client.routing.reroute_gw": "false"
hth, regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support