OVPN AS - Server can't reach client with local IP

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Palladium
OpenVpn Newbie

OVPN AS - Server can't reach client with local IP

Post by Palladium » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 am

Hello,
I have a OpenVPN Access Server running on a Ubuntu machine and a OpenVPN client also running on a Ubuntu. The client itself has a LTE interface which is used for the internet connection, so there is no router or so involved on the client site.
The VPN connection is configured in a way that the client can access only the server (X.X.X.X/32) and the remaining internet traffic is not routed through the tunnel. The server has full access to the client network (X.X.Y.0/24). When the connection is established the client can communicate with all server by using its fixed local IP addresses. Vice versa it doesn't work with the local client IP, but with the VPN IP address. So it seems that the client doesn't know what to do or how to handle the request from the VPN IP address area for local IPs.
Any help would be great.

PS: I don't know if we can access other devices in the client network, because it's at the moment pin my desk and not in the productive environment.