Set ip for DMN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
donniev
OpenVpn Newbie

Set ip for DMN

Post by donniev » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:13 am

I am trying to set up a DMZ zone so that all external traffic is routed to a particular client. The configuration page asks for a public ip. I have no idea what to choose. The ip of the OpenVPN server is 165.232.152.180. The client I wish to route to is give a static ip by OpenVPN of 10.0.0.8
I ASSume I would use an ip similar to the server so say 165.232.152.X. but when I try that the connection either times out or gives a connection refused error. I need to route ports 80 and 443. The OpenVPN server is hosted on a Digital Ocean droplet. Thanks for any help.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Set ip for DMN

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:16 am

Hello donniev,

Shouldn't be too hard. This document describes this functionality:
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ss-server/

The idea is that you specify the IP that the Access Server is listening on. If this is a machine that has a public IP directly on its network interface, then you can specify that IP. If this is a machine that has a private IP on its network interface, and the public IP is just NATted 1:1 to that, like is the case on Amazon AWS for example, then you can specify the private IP.

On my test machine on DigitalOcean I see that the public IP is directly available on the network interface. So you should be able to specify that public IP directly. In your case for example 165.232.152.180. You do this on the User Permissions page on the user account that you wish to redirect traffic to.

You can't "make up" public IP addresses like 165.232.152.x if you do not have that public IP on your server.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support