GeoIP

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
autostatic
OpenVpn Newbie

GeoIP

Post by autostatic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 am

Hello,

Does the OpenVPN AS webinterface have a GeoIP module module or implementation? If not are there any ways to implemenet this (maybe with a reverse proxy)?

Best,

Jeremy

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: GeoIP

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:56 pm

autostatic wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 am
Does the OpenVPN AS webinterface have a GeoIP module module or implementation? If not are there any ways to implemenet this (maybe with a reverse proxy)?
That's a good question. It's not there now, and I am not sure how it would be done best. (I know it is doable in iptables with the -m geoip match extension, see the iptables-extensions(8) manual.)

But you could help us to answer better if you would describe what you actually hope to do with GeoIP. I am guessing that you want to limit client/web-GUI connections from a limited number of countries?

Keep in mind that GeoIP can never be perfect. The Internet does not care about political boundaries. ;)

Thanks and regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

chilinux
OpenVPN Power User

Post by chilinux » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Doing GeoIP blocking on a per packet basis in iptables can be costly in terms of performance.

If you are only trying to restrict TCP sessions such as to TCP 443 and TCP 943 then you can use the iptables --syn flag to limit the GeoIP lookups to just the initial connection attempt. In that case doing GeoIP via iptables is not too bad.

However, for UDP port 1194, it becomes more tricky. You can use the iptables state table to track "established" sessions from IPs that have already been GeoIP checked. However, iptables has a finite number of state table entries it allows. A small distributed denial of service can easily flood the state table resulting in all UDP VPN connection attempts failing for everyone during the length of the attack.

Two other places where GeoIP checking could be added instead is in the post_auth script and PAM support in OpenVPN AS.

MaxMind provides a free service to getting their GeoLite2 database. They also provide a python module to query it which it should be possible to incorporate into the post_auth script.

Similar to the python module, there is also a package for the Pluggable Authentication Module system called pam_geoip. OpenVPN AS has minimal PAM support but I normally do not recommend using it. There is a glaring omission in the OpenVPN AS PAM support in that it gives no configuration options. The PAM API allows each application that supports PAM for authentication to provide a "Service Name." The system administrator can then specify a PAM stack that only impacts authentication from the designated app/service name. So, if you change the PAM stack for SSH to include use of pam_geoip but make a mistake, that will have no effect on being able to login via the console to correct it. The console login never uses the SSH PAM stack/service name. Likewise with other apps such as the mod_authnz_pam module for Apache. If you configure mod_authnz_pam to use a PAM service name of "wiki" then again it will never impact how other application logins work.

For whatever reason that baffles me, OpenVPN AS still doesn't include this typical configuration option for PAM (or even designate a PAM Service Name at all). As such, trying to use PAM with OpenVPN AS may have consequences for more than just OpenVPN AS. It is therefore my recommendation to be very careful/cautious when attempting to configure OpenVPN AS PAM support.

I would also agree with rob0 that it would help to understand what benefits you are seeking through GeoIP policies. A sufficiently motivated attacker will just use a proxy to appear from an allowed country.

Also, due to IPv4 exhaustion, it has become more common for IP ranges to be moved between countries for use. Hence, if you don't regularly update the MaxMind GeoLite2 database, you are likely to get inaccurate results over time.

autostatic
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by autostatic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 pm

openvpn_inc wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:56 pm
I am guessing that you want to limit client/web-GUI connections from a limited number of countries?
Yes. But more like the other way around, I'd like to be able to block certain continents and/or countries.
openvpn_inc wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:56 pm
Keep in mind that GeoIP can never be perfect. The Internet does not care about political boundaries. ;)
I've experienced issues at first hand with GeoIP so I'm aware of its imperfections.

Best,

Jeremy

autostatic
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by autostatic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 pm

chilinux wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 pm
Doing GeoIP blocking on a per packet basis in iptables can be costly in terms of performance.

If you are only trying to restrict TCP sessions such as to TCP 443 and TCP 943 then you can use the iptables --syn flag to limit the GeoIP lookups to just the initial connection attempt. In that case doing GeoIP via iptables is not too bad.
Thanks for that tip, I'll look into that.
chilinux wrote:
However, for UDP port 1194, it becomes more tricky. You can use the iptables state table to track "established" sessions from IPs that have already been GeoIP checked. However, iptables has a finite number of state table entries it allows. A small distributed denial of service can easily flood the state table resulting in all UDP VPN connection attempts failing for everyone during the length of the attack.
In our situation this is probably overkill. All employees must use the OpenVPN client so they make a connection with the API over HTTPS right? We have UDP flood detection and limits in place though and the machine has enough memory to increase nf_conntrack_max if necessary in case we would implement such a solution.
chilinux wrote:
Two other places where GeoIP checking could be added instead is in the post_auth script and PAM support in OpenVPN AS.
I'd like to shield the web interface, post_auth and PAM are beyond that scope. But great tip, didn't know about the post-auth script possibilities!
chilinux wrote:
MaxMind provides a free service to getting their GeoLite2 database. They also provide a python module to query it which it should be possible to incorporate into the post_auth script.

Similar to the python module, there is also a package for the Pluggable Authentication Module system called pam_geoip. OpenVPN AS has minimal PAM support but I normally do not recommend using it. There is a glaring omission in the OpenVPN AS PAM support in that it gives no configuration options. The PAM API allows each application that supports PAM for authentication to provide a "Service Name." The system administrator can then specify a PAM stack that only impacts authentication from the designated app/service name. So, if you change the PAM stack for SSH to include use of pam_geoip but make a mistake, that will have no effect on being able to login via the console to correct it. The console login never uses the SSH PAM stack/service name. Likewise with other apps such as the mod_authnz_pam module for Apache. If you configure mod_authnz_pam to use a PAM service name of "wiki" then again it will never impact how other application logins work.

For whatever reason that baffles me, OpenVPN AS still doesn't include this typical configuration option for PAM (or even designate a PAM Service Name at all). As such, trying to use PAM with OpenVPN AS may have consequences for more than just OpenVPN AS. It is therefore my recommendation to be very careful/cautious when attempting to configure OpenVPN AS PAM support.
That's good to know because another step I'd like to take is to replace or supplement 2FA with an extra Yubikey authentication step. In our case it wouldn't be a real problem though if more services would be touched by implementing libpam-u2f for OpenVPN authentication.
chilinux wrote:
I would also agree with rob0 that it would help to understand what benefits you are seeking through GeoIP policies. A sufficiently motivated attacker will just use a proxy to appear from an allowed country.
There's the level below the motivated hacker I'd like to keep out:

Code: Select all

Jul 21 16:14:29 servername openvpnas[3126]: [-] [WEB] OUT: '2021-07-21T16:14:29+0200 [twisted.python.log#info] "ip.add.re.ss" - - [21/Jul/2021:14:14:28 +0000] "GET /wp-admin/index.php HTTP/1.1" 404
I could of course look into something like fail2ban to prevent this but if I could do this from within OpenVPN AS I'd prefer that.

Best,

Jeremy

chilinux
OpenVPN Power User

Post by chilinux » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:27 am

autostatic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 pm
That's good to know because another step I'd like to take is to replace or supplement 2FA with an extra Yubikey authentication step. In our case it wouldn't be a real problem though if more services would be touched by implementing libpam-u2f for OpenVPN authentication.
With current versions of OpenVPN AS, you may want to consider using (or sticking with) it's built-in Google Authenticator (TOTP/RFC 6238) support. I am not aware of anyone having gotten FIDO working with OpenVPN AS yet. Just because there is a pam module doesn't mean the client and server will play well with it without further modification.
autostatic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 pm
chilinux wrote:
There's the level below the motivated hacker I'd like to keep out:

Code: Select all

Jul 21 16:14:29 servername openvpnas[3126]: [-] [WEB] OUT: '2021-07-21T16:14:29+0200 [twisted.python.log#info] "ip.add.re.ss" - - [21/Jul/2021:14:14:28 +0000] "GET /wp-admin/index.php HTTP/1.1" 404
I could of course look into something like fail2ban to prevent this but if I could do this from within OpenVPN AS I'd prefer that.
You are already keeping that level of script kiddie out. No WordPress exploit will ever produce results beyond getting a 404 status. In fact, no PHP exploit will ever work against OpenVPN Access Server.

Both Geo blocking and fail2ban come with their own set of overhead. The question should be if these script kiddie probes take place frequent enough that the overhead of the mitigation is worth it. If it is several times a minute then it is understandable you need to take additional steps. If it is a couple times a hour or less then the Zope web server is already handling it correctly.