How to allow server's subnet to access VPN network?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
alexisfrjp
OpenVpn Newbie

How to allow server's subnet to access VPN network?

Post by alexisfrjp » Mon May 03, 2021 10:29 am

* Server as Central VPN Gateway, shares its private LAN subnet to few trusted clients.
* Client A shares its private LAN subnet 192.168.164.0/24 to all the other clients, it's configured as "VPN Gateway" its private LAN subnet.
* Client A isn't allowed to access (=to initiate) other VPN clients or other private LAN subnets. It's only a "slave/server" device. I don't fully trust this computer nor its subnet.
* Client B is the master client, it can access everything but nothing can access it.

Should VPN clients have access to private subnets (non-public networks on the server side)? = No.
Private Routed Subnets (Optional) is empty. (I don't understand the meaning of that field.)

Client B User's Access Control has the server's private LAN subnet (to have the route added and the forward/firewall rule)
=> Client B can access all the computers of the server's subnet.
=> But all the computers of the server's subnet can't access (initiate connection) the VPN's subnet nor the Client A's subnet.

Packets are dropped in
Chain AS0_OUT_POST (2 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 ACCEPT all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 mark match 0x2000000/0x2000000
56 4704 DROP all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0

How can I achieve that without allowing all the VPN's clients to see/access the server's subnet setting "Should VPN ..."?

It seems I need to set lots of custom manual firewall/forward rules.