secondary LDAP server

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
pumbos
OpenVpn Newbie

secondary LDAP server

Post by pumbos » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 am

Hello.
I use OVPN AS 2.8.2 standalone with ldap auth.
In settings i put 2 servers, primary and secondary (same network 172.16.1.1 and 2) with port 3268(We use forrest)
But while primary server not avalible LDAP auth not works at all, AS not even try to requsts for secondary server.
How to fix this?

chilinux
OpenVPN Power User

Re: secondary LDAP server

Post by chilinux » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm

That seems to be a known bug which was resolved in 2.8.3.

The OpenVPN AS release notes are available here:
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/release-notes/

The related entry I am finding for 2.8.3 in the release notes is:
"Resolved a bug where secondary LDAP server would not be called if first LDAP server timed out."

Can you try upgrading to 2.8.3 or higher?

As a side note, they switched the LDAP python module used in 2.8.0 which is a major change and seem to require ironing out of resulting issues. There are release note fixes related to LDAP all the way up to and including 2.8.4. Hence, it might be a good idea to use at least 2.8.4 to get the benefits of those additional fixes.

As of today, the latest version is 2.8.7 which was released on December 8, 2020.

You should be able to continue to use the same OpenVPN Connect clients already installed with 2.8.7 that worked with 2.8.2. Upgrading to the newer version of the clients that come bundled is recommended but is not a hard requirement.

pumbos
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: secondary LDAP server

Post by pumbos » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks - it works.