Cannot access client or admin portal anymore

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
benjamin.john
OpenVpn Newbie

Cannot access client or admin portal anymore

Post by benjamin.john » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:32 pm

I upgraded the openvpn server by marking running 'apt-mark unhold openvpn-as' and then 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'.
After the upgrade, I am not able to access neither the Admin portal or Client portal. It just says 'The site cannot be reached'. No security groups were changed.
I even reverted the changes by restoring a previous snapshot, but for some reason, I still cannot access the portals. I don't understand how that could be possible. I was accessing the Admin portal with no issue prior to the upgrade.
Am I missing something obvious here? Please help.

PS. I'm needing to upgrade to the latest version so I can renew my licenses using the subscription model.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Cannot access client or admin portal anymore

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Hello Benjamin,

If you had a snapshot that you reverted to from a moment it was working, but going back to that snapshot doesn't work, I am not entirely sure how that could still fail to work. Unless perhaps the snapshot was of a situation where things were already broken, or if the snapshot was made on a filesystem that was still active (system actively running). In that case, a snapshot could contain some data that is changed during the process that the snapshot was being made in, making it slightly corrupt.

Normally an upgrade goes without issue. What you describe however sounds very odd, especially given that you had a snapshot that you reverted to. At the moment only the above items I mentioned I can see as possible causes. I would recommend checking the output of /var/log/openvpnas.log directly after issuing a service openvpnas restart command to see what error message show during the initialization phase. Somewhere there must be a clue as to what's broken. My guess would be some configuration value in the database has become corrupted and needs to be reset/removed in order for the startup to proceed.

To get more support on this, I would recommend contacting us on our official support ticket system, as log files and configuration data containing sensitive information can be exchange more freely there.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support