Pricing for openvpn

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
sandeepan
OpenVpn Newbie

Pricing for openvpn

Post by sandeepan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am

Hi,

We're trying to use OpenVPN for setting up VPN network. I installed it on ubuntu and it works great. But I am unable to understand the pricing. If I install it on my own server and use it, I still need to pay for it if I have more than 2 users?

Super0n6
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Pricing for openvpn

Post by Super0n6 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:01 am

I believe so yes

peterbc
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by peterbc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:13 am

And am I mistaken or has the 'new pricing subscription model' forced an almost 500% price increase ? From US$150 pa for 10 connections to $720 for 10 by subscription ? Thats an outrageous price gouge and enough to force us to look for alternatives.

jigs
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jigs » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Yes, i believe so too...

cabi123
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by cabi123 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:25 am

About to renew and dropped my drink when I noticed the new pricing, oh well

AslanTLS
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by AslanTLS » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:39 am

I have an on-premise AS server running on Ubuntu, with 100 client licenses activated mid of March last year and going to expired soon.
I am planning to renew the plan, however, the price is rapidly increasing from US $1,800 to US $2,880.
how come OpenVPN took advantage of the outbreak of Covid-19?

:-( :-( :-(

drakanor
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by drakanor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm

peterbc wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:13 am
And am I mistaken or has the 'new pricing subscription model' forced an almost 500% price increase ? From US$150 pa for 10 connections to $720 for 10 by subscription ? Thats an outrageous price gouge and enough to force us to look for alternatives.
Same here. After many years of licensing OpenVPN we don't see a reason to support such a hilarious jump in pricing. We are going to switch to Wireguard at the end of this month.

vnpenguin
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by vnpenguin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm

AslanTLS wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:39 am
I have an on-premise AS server running on Ubuntu, with 100 client licenses activated mid of March last year and going to expired soon.
I am planning to renew the plan, however, the price is rapidly increasing from US $1,800 to US $2,880.
how come OpenVPN took advantage of the outbreak of Covid-19?

:-( :-( :-(
We use OpenVPN community release for about 80 users. Same features, same security but free :D

chilinux
OpenVPN Power User

Post by chilinux » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 am

I don't think OpenVPN AS is taking advantage of covid as much as the expectations of VPN and VPN support has changed a great deal over the last year.

There has been a higher number of people working from home and expecting VPN to be available 24x7. It had previously been common for VPN only to be used during an emergency for off-site access. Now VPN servers are more commonly used for day to day use by several customers.

As to using WireGuard as a replacement for OpenVPN AS, those currently are very different products. The type of functionality that OpenVPN provides is supposed to eventually be provided by the WG-Dynamic project. The readme for that project still says "Work-in-progress; nothing to see here yet."

It has also been pointed out that OpenVPN community release provides the "same features." If you are comfortable with configuring OpenVPN and working with the EasyRSA scripts without a web interfaces to them, then it does provide similar functionality.

The key items OpenVPN community does not provide but OpenVPN AS does is:
* A web interface for administration and deployment of VPN configuration files
* Official support

One of the justifications for the price increase is explained here:
https://openvpn.net/billing-portal/faq/

Under "Pricing" and "How does your pricing compare to competitors?" they explain the pricing of five other major VPN competitors that are much more expensive. It isn't a completely fair comparison because I think they are also including hardware warranty for the competitors in the cost. OpenVPN AS does not provide the hardware and any warranty for the hardware needs to be paid in addition to OpenVPN AS licensing.

The big sticking point for me right now is not the cost but actually getting the key feature of included technical support. It may be possible the increase in price means they are hiring more support staff to improve support. However, the cost increase is already being paid for and my personal experience has been the current technical support is lethargic. It might be several of the other five competitors OpenVPN AS compares itself to also are having problems keeping up with technical support but I have a hard time believe that *ALL* five are as unresponsive. It seem to me that it is therefore dangerous for OpenVPN AS to suggest the pricing of competitors because it implies OpenVPN AS supplies the same thing for cheaper. However, in the case of how technical support functions, I am not sure the same thing is always being provided.

The other sticking point for me is areas OpenVPN AS could use some improvement. Since it is close source, only OpenVPN AS themselves can choose if those improvements can be made. It would be nice if the community could modify code related to the web portal part.

So, while I agree with the need for the price increase, I understand the new price is not for everyone. Combine that with the other pain points for OpenVPN AS, I think this price change may be a good reason for the community to start their own open source web interface. While I expect OpenVPN AS to always be the primary way to get an officially supported web interface, for those that need something in-between OpenVPN community and OpenVPN AS then an open source web interface may fit the gap. While such a gap has probably existed for a while, the price increase may have increased the gap of people that OpenVPN AS does not work for.

If anyone is aware of such an open source web interface project for OpenVPN or are interested in starting one, please let me know.