Can I have different “client internet traffic routed through the vpn” for different user groups?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
JohnManchester
OpenVpn Newbie

Can I have different “client internet traffic routed through the vpn” for different user groups?

Post by JohnManchester » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi All

I have the following setup on my OpenVPN Server:

Global Setting:
Configuration -> VPN Settings -> Should client Internet traffic be routed through the vpn = Yes

User Management -> User Permissions
All users have "No Default Group" and therefore all Internet traffic is routed through the VPN.

I have created a new Group called “Group1”

For users in this “Group1”, I don’t want all Internet traffic to be routed through the vpn.
The only traffic that I wish to be routed through the vpn for this group are subnets “Configuration -> VPN Settings -> Routing -> Specify the private subnets to which all clients should be given access (one per line)”

I would like to know how to do this.

I believe this article shows me how to do this: Redirect-gateway and DNS settings
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... mand-line/

Overide this for group but still allow “push DNS server”
./sacli --user Group1 --key “prop_reroute_gw_override” --value “dns_only” UserPropPut

Also, can the Group1 have the same “Dynamic IP Address Network” & “Group Default Address Network” as the global defaults?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks

John

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Can I have different “client internet traffic routed through the vpn” for different user groups?

Post by novaflash » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:24 am

Well, you pretty much already found it, so I suggest you try it.

Groups can inherit from Group Default Address Network, or they can have their own subnet.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

JohnManchester
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can I have different “client internet traffic routed through the vpn” for different user groups?

Post by JohnManchester » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 pm

novaflash wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:24 am
Well, you pretty much already found it, so I suggest you try it.

Groups can inherit from Group Default Address Network, or they can have their own subnet.
Thanks novaflash. Appreciated.

John

:D