Activation key binded on instance or domain?

perrybelleza
OpenVpn Newbie

Activation key binded on instance or domain?

Post by perrybelleza » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 am

Hi,

I built a OpenVPN Access Server in azure (BYOL), now I bought activation keys but I didn't enter it yet on my server. My question is if I apply it now, can I still change the domain/certs later?

For example:
perry.com (I activated my openvpn). --> (Changed my domain to) perrybelleza.com

If the above example has been made, my openvpn server will still be working as expected?

Thanks!

mfasen
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Activation key binded on instance or domain?

Post by mfasen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:30 pm

Once you add the licenses, they are locked to your 'hardware'. You can change the domain name without issue but you cannot move the licenses to another server without involving support.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Activation key binded on instance or domain?

Post by novaflash » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:38 pm

The new subscription model can be activated infinitely and can be shared across multiple servers, so they share the available connections. No need to request license reissues anymore. But the fixed license activation keys, yeah, they lock to various hardware/software specifics - different per each activation. It grabs a couple of items to lock to and so each key is protected slightly differently, and if you change a few items, that's fine. But if you change too much, it invalidates. It's a copy protection system. But you can freely move your existing server to another DNS domain or IP. The copy protection system is focused on the device and OS itself, not the IP address or domain where your server can be reached.