Can't login to OpenVPN AS admin portal

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
drewjohnson
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't login to OpenVPN AS admin portal

Post by drewjohnson » Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Running OpenVPN AS on Debian. Server was working fine until last night when I shutdown to do a backup. After backup, brought the server back up, and now getting this message when attempting to login to the admin console (https://serverIP:943/admin)

Sorry, a session error has occurred
It is possible that your session has expired or your login credentials do not allow access to this resource. See error text below for further details:

SESSION ERROR: SESSION: Your session has expired, please reauthenticate (9007)

I've searched for this specific message in the forums, and checked DNS settings. I do have servers in /etc/resolv.conf. I can also ping and curl outbound with no issues, so it looks like DNS and Internet connectivity are working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Drew

drewjohnson
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can't login to OpenVPN AS admin portal

Post by drewjohnson » Sat May 02, 2020 3:31 am

I banged on the server (Debian 9, OpenVPN-AS 2.8.3) for a bit tonite. After trying several things, I got it working. Here is what I did:
as root:
apt-get --purge remove openvpn-as
apt-get install openvpn-as
passwd openvpn

I have no idea what caused the issue. I was using the free 2 connection license, and still am. I can only hypothesize that running the clone backup changed something in the drive configuration that made OpenVPN-AS believe it was no longer on the same system. Interesting note; I didn't have to configure anything - all my settings, user profiles, and DB remained fully intact.