DNS server not setting on 2 clients (but other clients are fine)

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
mark.peterson
OpenVpn Newbie

DNS server not setting on 2 clients (but other clients are fine)

Post by mark.peterson » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:53 pm

I have 2 clients connecting with the OpenVPN Connect client. Both are running Windows 10 Enterprise. However, on both laptops, even though I see in the logs that the DNS server is being pushed, it's not being set on the client, so DNS resolution is failing. I can reach the network/servers via IP - it's just DNS that isn't working.

I have many other clients are successfully connecting and DNS resolution is working as expected (including mine). I have uninstalled/reinstalled the client and also deleted/re-imported the VPN profile. I even had the 2 clients connect to another OpenVPN site I host, and on that site, the DNS server setting is successfully set.

So - I'm at a loss. Any ideas/suggestions?

wm_tech
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: DNS server not setting on 2 clients (but other clients are fine)

Post by wm_tech » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue? I am having somewhat of a related issue right now where I can use the FQDN to resolve on 100% of the clients, but only some clients can resolve using just hostnames. I can see in the log that I am getting the DNS suffix. I have a support ticket open but responses are somewhat slow.