Log report filtering

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
mdg
OpenVpn Newbie

Log report filtering

Post by mdg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:27 pm

In the Admin Web UI on OpenVPN AS 2.1.12, in Log Reports, you can filter the reports by (among other things) Username, Real IP Address, VPN IP Address, and Services. This is useful to me, because I have network monitoring software that connects to my OpenVPN server every couple minutes and fills the log with API requests, so by default I can't see, for example, who has connected recently. If I choose "VPN" in the "Services" filter field, then I can easily get that information.

In later versions of OpenVPN AS, such as 2.7.4, most of those filter fields are gone. There is a single "Filter records" box, but I can't find any way to get it to filter just by Service=VPN. The box searches all columns of the report. A search for "VPN" matches every row, since the server name, which in my case partially consists of the string "openvpn", appears in the first column of every row.

In 2.7.4 the 'logdba' command-line utility still has the --service_filt= option and that does work (e.g. "/usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/logdba --csv --limit=20 --service_filt=VPN --desc" will give the last 20 VPN logins).

Is there a way to do that in the Web UI that I'm missing? If not, will it be added back in a later version of the software?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Log report filtering

Post by novaflash » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 pm

We're taking feedback like this and will be adjusting the log reports page in future releases.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

mdg
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mdg » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 am

Is there any update on this?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi There,

Still this functionality is not yet reintroduce with the current version of access server.
I got a confirmation that in deed there is a plan of reintroducing this in future releases but for now it is not a high priority with the upcoming release version. Our dev team has it's focused on 2.9 upgrade cases and other much more critical feature with v2.10.

Our dev team will consider this carefully when we can put such functions back, but in the meantime I suggest you use the functionality of our logdba tool instead like:

Code: Select all

./logdba --csv --limit=20 --service_filt=VPN --desc
mdg wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 am
Is there any update on this?
Regards,
Crowley
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support