Auto Disconnect Connection of VPN Client After Specific Idle Time/Connection Duration

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
VietDuc19
OpenVpn Newbie

Auto Disconnect Connection of VPN Client After Specific Idle Time/Connection Duration

Post by VietDuc19 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am

Hi everyone!
I am looking for the answer: how can I auto disconnect connection of VPN Client after specific idle time or specific connection duration?
There are many clients connected to my OpenVPN server but they forgot to disconnect VPN client or they connect for a long time but do nothing.
I am using OpenVPN Access Server v2.7.3.
I really appreciate your precious help.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Auto Disconnect Connection of VPN Client After Specific Idle Time/Connection Duration

Post by novaflash » Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am

I think you might want to take a look at this:
https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... -threshold
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

DaMiBu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Auto Disconnect Connection of VPN Client After Specific Idle Time/Connection Duration

Post by DaMiBu » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 pm

we have same issue. Before version 2.7.3 clients always got disconnected after 24 hours regardless. Ever since upgrading we now see sessions that are sometimes weeks long. This did not happen in any version 2.6.1 and older and we manage 50+ openvpn access servers.

Going to test 2.7.4 as I see it just got released.

jp2022
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jp2022 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:03 am

Hi,

I come once back to this topic because we also have Open VPN clients that (after use) not switch off their VPN Client and so their Open Client remains constantly connected, even when there is no data traffic.
I've read through the Reference manual for OpenVPN 2.0 but it's not quite clear to me.

Is there a possibility to add an instruction or script in the ovpn file of the VPN client that checks the data traffic and can possibly switch off the VPN Client after x time?

Thanks

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:12 am

Hi,

You may check options here: https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... t-options/

Regards,
.\kionci
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support